Citizens' Broadcasting Cooperative
Sandra Finley's Chronology from Saskatoon to Help with the Articulation of the Santa Cruz Manifesto, 25 May,2001
Sandra quotes from Joshua Blakeney
"The world is in a dire situation where international meetings need to occur so global citizens can compare and
contrast our various initiatives."
Sandra responds: My understanding is that activated global citizens are taking up arms, so to speak, as they see the opportunity to do so. It is “self-organizing”
- - various initiatives not consciously coordinated, but which all work
To me it is important that people realize
- the magnitude of the combined efforts to insist on the rule of law
- the fact that these efforts are not going to stop: it may take years but rest assured we do have power and we will exercise it.
- In the end Bush, Blair and their thugs will be brought to trial.
I distributed the following chronology recently, to help illustrate that it will be done. In case it may be useful to any of you, I
forward to you.
(1) UPDATED CHRONOLOGY OF EFFORTS TO GET BUSH ARRESTED (revised May 25, 2010)
The following highlights SOME of the efforts which are on-going through many organizations in the world.
- 2002: we vigorously joined with millions of people around the world calling on
Bush not to drop bombs on Iraq. Information on the laws and the
- March 2003: the U.S. started the Iraq War. Then-Prime Minister Jean Chretien
kept Canada out of the war.
- October 2007: “The
Guantánamo Files” by Andy
Worthington (UK) is published. It is “a must-read
for anyone who wants to understand how Guantánamo came to be the torture
chamber of the United States. This comprehensive and well-researched
reveals the stories of the many tragic men and boys who were picked up
9/11 by, or at the direction of, the US government, and also clearly
demonstrates the frightening and unchecked power of the Bush
the failures that have followed on from its miserable, inept and
policies. Perhaps most disturbing, from a personal point of view, is the
author’s unraveling of the US government’s manipulation of classified
information, not to protect national security, but in a vain attempt to
the truth about Guantánamo. The fact that the prison’s real story has
been ignored by our corporate media, by politicians on both sides of the
and, most distressingly, by the judiciary, makes this book an important
historical contribution to this dark period. If the US happens to
episode of cruelty and lawlessness, The Guantánamo Files will
important tool for coming to grips with how we as a nation allowed
detention without charge, extraordinary rendition and torture to become
Candace Gorman, lawyer for two Guantánamo prisoners
Murder" is published.
- July 2008: we circulated Vince Bugliosi’s testimony before the U.S.
House Judiciary Committee, YouTube video, calling for prosecution of Geo
- 2008: Charlotte Dennett runs for Attorney General of Vermont on the platform
will prosecute Bush for murder. Charlotte is working with Ramsay Clark,
U.S. Attorney General.
- In Canada, Gail Davidson (Lawyers Against the War (L.A.W. – Vancouver) has
assembled the laws and the evidence to show that Bush needs to be
tried for his crimes.
- March 2009: Sent letter to the ICC with L.A.W.’s documentation regarding
Bush. Request that they issue a warrant for arrest of Bush.
- March 2009: Bush coming to Calgary. We joined in petitioning (phone
calls, etc.) of the Law Firm (Bennett Jones) and the Calgary Chamber of
Commerce, sponsors of the Bush visit.
- March 17, 2009. Calgary protest over Bush’s visit. Splitting the Sky is
arrested as he tries to do a citizen’s arrest of Bush.
- Sept 08, 2009 “Spanish judge resumes torture case against six senior Bush
lawyers” http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2009/09/08/spanish-judge-resumes-t... (The judge, Garzon, is Spain's best-known investigating magistrate.
He issued the precedent-setting arrest warrant for former Chilean
Augusto Pinochet in 1998 when Britain wouldn’t.)
- Sept 12, 2009. The email “ We are in big trouble if the laws do not
apply to those who govern.” Includes “significance of the
rule of law”.
- Oct 2, 2009: TV series, “Law and Order” makes the case for the
prosecution of Bush Administration torturers.
- October: Bush coming to Edmonton, Saskatoon and Montreal. In Saskatoon a month in advance of Bush’s visit we
letters to the Chief of Police, to the head of the RCMP Saskatoon
and to the Commanding Officer for Division F (Saskatchewan). Also to
Border Services. The letters contained the information from Lawyers
Against the War (Gail Davidson). We submitted the law and the evidence
which says that Bush contravened the law and a request that they
out their duty under the law to arrest Bush when he is here. Scroll
to appended CONTENTS of the letters.
- Because this involves “the law” and because many of the people who might
potentially attend the Bush event were lawyers, using the Yellow Pages,
emailed almost every law firm in town, a month before the visit. We
information to the Law Society (as we also had done with the Alberta Law
Society when Bush was coming to Calgary.) And to City Council. Also
lawyer for Brett Wilson (Calgary) who was an organizer of the Bush
visit. Our intention was to see that it would be unpopular for people
attend, to make the visit a money-loser for the organizers. Posters
for arrest of Bush, the war criminal were plastered around town. The
organizers ended up giving large numbers of tickets away for free.
- Replies were received from the Police; they said they would not arrest Bush.
- L.A.W. sent a letter to the Attorney General of Canada, Robert Nicholson. From Saskatoon we distributed a few thousand post cards
addressed to him. The front of the postcard reads: “If
the most powerful among us are not accountable to the law, our justice
fails. .. The Government of Canada has a legal duty to bar George W.
from Canada - - as a suspected war criminal - - or to prosecute him for
once he enters Canada. The law allows no other options.” It
has a picture of George Bush with the scales of justice and the olive
the background. The back of the card reads, “Dear Attorney General
Nicholson … “ (scroll down to appended, remainder of text)
- October 20, 21, 22, 2009. Protest rallies in Edmonton, Saskatoon and
Montreal. The police did not arrest Bush.
- November 4, 2009. 23 CIA agents
convicted in kidnapping, torture trial in Italy.
"They acted under orders from Bush and Cheney. ...”
- January 19, 2010: Law Professor Francis Boyle from the University of Illinois
filed a request with the International Criminal Court (ICC – “the
Hague”) for the arrest of Bush and his companions. http://www.redress.cc/global/redress20100206
- Early 2010: Charlotte Dennett publishes “The People v. Bush: One
Lawyer's Campaign to Bring the President to Justice and the Nationwide
Grassroots Movement She's Encountered Along the Way"
- March 5, 2010, Court Allows Torture Suit Against Former Defense Sec't
(email circulated March 11) 1st time in U.S. history that court allows torture suit against current or former Cabinet Secretary
CHICAGO, March 5, 2010 – Federal Judge Wayne R. Andersen issued an historic ruling that
allows a lawsuit to proceed against former Defense Secretary Rumsfeld
allegedly authorized torture.
The case would not be, if Donald Vance and Nathan Ertel weren’t
willing to tackle the issue. They are the fellows behind the court
- March 8 – 9, 2010: Calgary, trial of Splitting the Sky over his
attempt to do a citizen’s arrest of Bush in March 2009. KEVIN MARTIN and the Calgary Sun
(“Citizen's arrest of George W. Bush justified, court hears”) are
to be congratulated for their coverage of the Splitting the Sky trial.
- We continue the conversation regarding the prosecution of Canadian
had an obligation under the law to arrest Bush when he was here. Timing
and developments, action.
- March 2010. (I believe that this documentary teaches Canadians an important
from history directly related to the current situation.) A six-part
Hate and Propaganda aired on CBC TV. Hitler had a dilemma. He
to takeover Poland; but especially with the experience of World War One,
German people did not want to make war against anyone. What a
daunting task: create a mindset in the population to extinguish their
resistance to making war on Poland.
Hitler used mass media (radio and the movies) to create an image, an illusion, of the people of Poland.
They became vermin worthy only of extermination. . . . Poland was
If you imagine yourself as a citizen, not of Poland in World War Two, but as a citizen of Iraq, I think you would
current wars like the music of Bach: we are hearing a variation on
the music of war – the theme (the means) does not change. In
this variation the propaganda that allowed Bush to drop bombs on Iraq
weapons-of-mass-destruction, Muslims. Terrorists.
Taking equality before the law a step further: if everyone you know, knows about the very important struggles
of the people to get George Bush and Company tried for their crimes
humanity, then at least one could say that “a free press” exists in
this Canadian might-be democracy.
If people are generally unaware of the struggle, then “a free press” is a meaningless phrase.
Propaganda omits one side of the story. And anyone who questions
must be marginalized. Don’t tell their story; if you do, paint them
into beings who are “radical” or “leftist” or
“activist” or who “incite” the crowd to violence.
Or, make them into despicable people.
- April 3, 2010: Former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark chosen to head
international investigation of Bush Administration war crimes.
“ at a meeting of over 150 lawyers, legal scholars andhuman rights campaigners, Ramsey Clark,
Indict Bush Now, was chosen to be the chairperson of an international
to investigate war crimes committed by officials from the
Representatives at the meeting held in
Beirut, Lebanon, came from all over the world. The campaign will
the lies, deceit and manipulation leading up to the Iraq war; the
the waritself against an essentially defenseless country; and the
the continued occupation.
Lawyers and judges in several countries are exploring prosecution.
Ramsey Clark emphasized that it is the imperative responsibility of the American people to relentlessly pursue
investigation, and to seek prosecution and indictment inside of the
- June 6: Former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark speaks in Calgary
- June 7: Calgary Judge’s decision on Splitting the Sky is due
This is not an exhaustive list of individual efforts to place Bush and his companions under the rule of law. There are international organizations
working on it, too.
If you know persons in the police and security forces, please forward this to
them. They should be aware of our efforts to insist on the rule of law;
we stand in solidarity with them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
DESCRIPTION, FRONT-SIDE OF POSTCARD:
- the front has a picture of Geo Bush with the Scales of Justice in the background in the centre of an olive wreath
If the most powerful among us are not accountable to the law, our justice system
The Government of Canada has a legal duty to bar George W. Bush from Canada - - as
a suspected war criminal - - or to prosecute him for torture once he
enters Canada. The law allows no other options.
DESCRIPTION, BACK-SIDE OF POSTCARD:
Dear Attorney General Nicholson,
George W. Bush arrives in Canada, October 20, 2009.
As you know, Canada is a signatory to international legal covenants such as
the Geneva Conventions and the Rome Statute. As signatories we are legally
bound to enforce these laws. Furthermore, Canada has enacted supporting
Under the Canadian Criminal Code, the Crimes Against Humanity and War Crimes
Act, and the Geneva Conventions Act, torture and other war crimes and
crimes against humanity committed anywhere in the world are crimes in
Canada. Canada has a legal duty to prosecute such crimes. The duty to
prosecute is triggered when the suspected perpetrators enter Canada.
While President of the United States, George W. Bush waged war on Iraq
without credible justification, the most serious breach of International Law
which prohibits wars of aggression. His government has held prisoners of
war indefinitely without due process and has authorized the use of torture
against many of these detainees, also in breach of international law.
To fail to apply the laws equally would be to breach your Oath of Office and
to undermine the rule of law in Canada. The Attorney General does not act
on directions from his colleagues or anyone else in discharging his duties
in the enforcement of the law.
George W. Bush must be arrested and prosecuted.
THE POSTCARD IS ADDRESSED TO:
Honorable Robert Nicholson
Attorney General of Canada
Member of Parliament
House of Commons
Canada K1A 0A6
- DOES NOT REQUIRE POSTAGE
Written in the box where a stamp would ordinarily go:
"No Postage Necessary if Mailed from Within Canada."
(Any regular-size correspondence addressed to a Member of Parliament at the
House of Commons does not require postage.)
- All you have to do is sign and pop the postcard into a mailbox.
- - - - - - - - - - - --- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
CONTENTS OF THE LETTER TO THE RCMP:
(1) SIGNIFICANCE OF THE RULE OF LAW:
GEORGE BUSH'S VISIT IS AN EXTREMELY SERIOUS MATTER
(2) LETTER TO THE CHIEF OF POLICE
(3) INTERNATIONAL AND CANADIAN LAWS, AS THEY APPLY TO BUSH
(4) G.W. BUSH SHOULD BE BARRED ENTRY UNDER INADMISSIBILITY PROVISIONS OF THE IMMIGRATION
AND REFUGEE PROTECTION ACT (IRPA)
(5) CANADIAN LAW OBLIGES THE POLICE IN SASKATCHEWAN TO ARREST BUSH
(6) DUTY TO BAR ENTRY TO CANADA
(7) DUTY TO INVESTIGATE ALLEGATIONS OF TORTURE
(8) DUTY TO PROSECUTE
(9) VINCE BUGLIOSI’S BOOK, “THE PROSECUTION OF GEORGE W. BUSH FOR MURDER”
AND TESTIMONY AT THE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE HEARINGS (YOUTUBE)
(10) MESSAGE FROM RAMSAY CLARK, FORMER UNITED STATES ATTORNEY GENERAL
(11) SPANISH JUDGE RESUMES TORTURE CASE AGAINST SIX SENIOR BUSH LAWYERS, 8.9.09
(14) TORTURED LAW, VIDEO FOOTAGE
(15) “LAW & ORDER” MAKES CASE FOR PROSECUTION OF BUSH ADMINISTRATION TORTURERS, OCTOBER 2, 2009